Monday, September 23, 2013

Greige: The New Classic

[domino magazine]

Flashback to the fall of 2008: Fresh out of law school, I was settling into a new job and a new home, and I was eager to design a space that felt like me. I wanted a sophisticated space that was warm, inviting, and serene. This photo, sourced from Domino Magazine (may it rest in peace) stopped me dead in my tracks.

I love everything about this photo, beginning with the "greige" (gray + beige) paint on the wall. Greige had a big moment in the fall of 2008, and I was 100% on board. A complete obsession with investigation of the design elements in this photo led to my discovery that this particular shade of greige is Ralph Lauren's Forde Abbey. And, thanks to two gallons of paint and the generous assistance of my entire family during Thanksgiving weekend 2008, I'm going on five years of greige in my own apartment.

[living room | greige walls]

    
[reading nook | more greige walls] 
                          
While my design tastes have evolved since I first stumbled upon the Domino photo, I always find myself returning to it. To mark the 5-year anniversary of this happy discovery, I thought I'd celebrate with a mini guide to creating a greige-inspired room. Cheers to you, greige!